Youth Swim Programs
All programs and lessons are for active Houstonian Club Members only.
To register your child(ren) for any of the programs below (other than private swim lessons), you need to set up an account in CampMinder. Please click here
to create a CampMinder camper application for your child(ren). After you have created an account, click 'Begin Application', and then scroll down to select to the program you would like sign up for and submit the application. If you need any assistance with CampMinder, please contact Aquatics Program Coordinator Lauren Gill at lgill@houstonian
.com or at 713.685.6750
Our pools are heated, so private swim lessons are available year-round. Private lessons can begin at 6 months old and give a child one-on-one instruction and feedback to help speed their progress and refine their skills. They are great for introducing a child and helping them overcome fears. Our instructors steer their teaching to match the student’s personalities and needs.
To request private or semi-private swim lessons, please go to the Houstonian app, select ' Aquatics' and then 'Request a Lesson
' and fill out the form. You may also call 713.685.6724
May through August
The lessons are for children ages 15 months to 6 years old. Water safety is taught along with age-appropriate skills to help a child become water safe and confident in the water.
To view all of the group lessons offered, please click here
. Registration for group lessons begins in January.
Water safety is taught along with age-appropriate skills to help a child become water safe and confident in the water.
- Aquatots - Parent and child class - Ages 15 months to 36 months
- Skills include: water acclimation, safety, entering & exiting the pool, blowing bubbles, jumping in the pool, floating, and arm and leg movements.
- Every child MUST have an adult in the water with them.
- Aquatots Rules and Risks
- Angelfish - Beginner - Ages 30 months to 48 months
- Limited to two students per group. The small setting is ideal for first-timers and those in transition from a parent-child class.
- Skills include: Putting face in the water, blowing bubbles, floating, kicking, beginning arm movement, and water safety.
- Angelfish Rules and Risks
- Seahorse - Intermediate - Ages 3 to 4 years old
- Skills include: Floating, freestyle arm strokes, kicking, coordination of arms and legs, gliding, beginning backstroke and water safety.
- Seahorse Rules and Risks
- Sea Lions - Advanced - Ages 5 to 6 years old
- Children should know how to swim across the pool unassisted.
- Skills include: floating, arm strokes, lateral breathing, frog kick, backstroke, beginning dives, and water safety.
- Sea Lions Rules and Risks
BlueFins Swim Team: Held May through June | Ages 5 to 14 years old
- The Houstonian's Country Club League Swim Team.
- Once you register on CampMinder, you will have access to all of the BlueFins calendars, meet information and important dates. Swim test required.
- Participants must be able to swim an entire 25 yard lap to tryout for BlueFins.
- View information on pricing, practices, swim meets, etc.: BlueFins Swim Team Flyer | BlueFins Rules and Risks
BlueFins Preseason: Held in April | Ages 5 to 14 years old
- A one-month stroke technique development and conditioning program that prepares children for the BlueFins Swim Team.
- Once you register on CampMinder, you will have access to all of the BlueFins calendars, meet information and important dates. Swim test required
AquaTech: Held Jan. through March and July through Nov. | Ages 7 to 14 years old
- This program is designed to aid in the development of the four competitive strokes, starts and turns.
- Our goal is to help build a basic understanding of the sport, thus preparing children for more intense programs and/or school competitions.
- The focus is placed on proper techniques, building endurance and overall fitness.
For more information about BlueFins or AquaTech, contact Head Coach Kalvin Spells at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 713.316.2705. AquaTech requires a potential swimmer to complete two lengths of our 25-yard pool without stopping.
Goldfish: Held Aug. through March | Ages 4 to 9 years old
- This program is for children who can swim but, need more technical training in the four main strokes. The focus is about 75% technique and 25% endurance. This program provides the skills needed to become a more advanced swimmer
- If you have a child interested in swimming and/or being on the swim team the following year, this is a great way to work on technique, stamina, and endurance. If they aren't interested in swim team, it is still a great way to develop swimming skills and keep them moving in the water
- The Goldfish program is not a 'learn how to swim' class. Your child will need to know how to swim freestyle and backstroke prior to joining.
For more information about pricing and the Goldfish class schedule, please click here
. For more information, please contact Aquatics Program Coordinator Lauren Gill at email@example.com or at 713.685.6750.
Splash Camp Held May through August | Ages 3 to 12 years old
- Splash Camp is our annual aquatics camp part of the Houstonian Summer Camps. In this program, we will teach your children how to swim.
- Please select the level that you believe your children would be classified under. If you are not sure, all children will be assessed and sorted into two levels at the start of camp.
- Level 1 (Beginner/Novice): This is for beginners to learn how to safely enter the water, float on the front and back, roll over, kick, introduce arm movements and general water safety.
- Level 2 (Intermediate): Must be able to float on their back independently and swim across the pool unassisted. Skills include: freestyle, lateral breathing, breaststroke, backstroke, beginning dives, and water safety.
- Level 3 (Advanced): Must be able to swim 25 yards independently, swim freestyle and backstroke for 12.5 yards. This level will focus on the development of all four competitive strokes. Must be at least 5 years old.
After registering, you can also sign up for Splash Camp held Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. in addition to most Racquet and Youth Camps.
For more information about Houstonian Summer Camps, please click here